Contact us:FLABEG FE GMBH
+49-9973-8052-0
info(at)flabeg-fe.com

History

FLABEG’s roots extend all the way back to 1882 – and are closely bound with the development of an entire branch of industry that was brand new. In fact, the innovative ideas of the founding fathers, as well as their continuous elaboration by subsequent generations, have made a decisive contribution to the current status quo in the market: there are very few who share FLABEG’s technological pole position in global competition today.

1882
Establishment of the Furth glass factory by brothers Alois and Eduard Kupfer and their brother-in-law Sigmund Glaser with three mirror glass furnaces.

1905
Birth of “Spiegelglasfabriken Bechmann-Kupfer AG” as a result of a merger between the mirror glass foundry in Furth im Wald and the company Bechmann with its administrative headquarters in Fürth, Bavaria.

1919 - 1933
Expansion of production with the construction of the first mirror trough and several grinding and polishing plants.

1938
The name “Bayrische Spiegelglasfabriken” is changed to “Spiegelglas Union AG” with its headquarters in Fürth, Bavaria.

1947
Simultaneous manufacturing of flat and hollow glass due to full automation of the parabolic trough.

1953
The first round-the-clock mirror coating conveyor in Europe is commissioned. This gives the factory in Furth im Wald a unique means of entry into modern mirror production.

1954
Change of name to “Unionglas AG”. Company Delog becomes the principal shareholder.

1955
Acquisition of the first automated edge grinder.

1956
Erection of the first bending furnace.

1967
Company Delog takes over “Unionglas AG” as a subsidiary and changes its name to “Unionglas GmbH”.

1970
Delog in Gelsenkirchen and Detag in Fürth, Bavaria merge to become “Flachglas AG” with its headquarters in Gelsenkirchen.

1971
Schulze, in Herford, is bought by "UnionGlas GmbH". Merger between the three main companies in the flat glass processing industry in the Federal Republic of Germany: Unionglas GmbH (Furth im Wald), Westdeutsche Spiegelfabriken GmbH (Sende), and Flabeg GmbH (Fürth). The company is renamed “Spiegelunion Flabeg GmbH” and becomes a subsidiary of “Flachglas AG”.

1972
The first vapor deposition plant for mirror coating is purchased.

1976
Start of the development of solar mirrors.

1978
The company is renamed Flabeg GmbH.

1980
Pilkington acquires "Flachglas AG"; "Flabeg GmbH" therefore also becomes a member of the globally active Pilkington Group.

1983
Receipt of the first major order for solar mirrors. The order worth several million German marks arrives from Israel; the mirrors themselves are destined for California, USA. A further 3.5 million square meters of mirrors are delivered to California, Nevada, and Spain.

Commissioning of the first high-performance cathode sputtering plant for the production of chrome glass.

1989
The second sputtering plant for chrome and blue tint calottes and an electron beam coating (EBC) plant for anti-reflection coating were purchased.

1990
Construction of a new fully automated coating conveyor for the wet chemical silvering of curved glass (calottes and solar mirrors).

1991
Introduction of sag bending for calottes.

1992
The first sputtering plant for ITO (indium-tin-oxide) and anti-reflection coatings was purchased.

1993 – 1995
GMC (USA), Midland (GB), and Lavet (I) were purchased in order to secure calotte sales in these markets.

2000
FLABEG breaks away from the Pilkington Group thanks to a management buyout and becomes the independent company Flabeg GmbH & Co. KG.

2004
Formation of a joint venture in China.
Launch of hydrophilic and low-glare mirror glass.
Increase in production capacities through the purchase of Prinzoptics machinery and the production volumes assumed as a result.

2006
Acquisition of TFC Corporation (USA) Optimization of global production and worldwide logistics.

2008
Takeover of Naugatuck Glass (USA), resulting in increased expertise in the processing of thin glass.

2013
In December, ACWA Holding announced the acquisition of FLABEG GmbH. The acquisition has been made through ACWA’s solar energy subsidiary SUN & LIFE.

2014
FLABEG was renamed FLABEG FE GmbH.